EMR Sports Certification is for clinicians who want specialize training in working sidelines at sporting venues or sporting events. This course integrates objectives from the American Red Cross and the most recent research and journals for emergency medical management for athletes. Upon completion of this course, you will be certified in Emergency Medical Response (EMR) with the option of being certified in American Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers.
The type of instructional method is lecture with a hands-on, technique lab.
EMR – Sports also fulfills the requirements to become a Certified Emergency Medical Responder and CPR/AED for 2 years and eligible to apply for the ABPTS – Sports Certified Specialist Exam.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE?
- Certified Athletic Trainer, Chiropractor, Physical Therapist, Physical Therapy Assistant
- 1:16 Instructor to Attendee
- Digital Course Manual
- Approved CEU/ 17 Contact Hours (AT, DC, PT, PTA)
- Certification of Completion
- Lecture with demonstration and hands-on lab
SELF STUDY (10 Hours)
- Emergency Management Systems
- Disease Transmission
- Primary and Secondary Assessment
- Airway Emergencies and Oxygen
- Chain of Survival and Cardiac Emergencies
- Medical Emergencies
- Injury Incidence, Etiology, Management
- The Young Athlete
- The Older Athlete
- The Male vs Female Athlete/Triad
- Adaptive Sports and Special Needs Patients
- Environmental Considerations
- Legal and Ethics
IN-PERSON (7 Hours)
- Primary & Secondary Assessment (1hr)
- CPR AED Choking (1hr)
- Wound-care, bandage, sling, Eyepatch (1hr)
- CAM Splinting (1hr)
- Athletic taping (1hr)
- Spine boarding/C-collar/Helmet/Equipment Removal (1hr)
- Concussion Testing (1hr)
- Ability to recognize, respond, assess, and provide treatment for acute athletic injuries.
- Perform primary and secondary assessment, examination, and clinical judgement on injured individuals.
- Identify and recognize red flags during emergent injuries and alert EMS.
|9am-11am||Primary & Secondary Assessment|
|11am-12pm||Wound-Care, bandages, Eyepatch|
|1pm-3pm||Soft/Hard Splinting: Blankets, CAM, Anatomical Splint|
|5:30pm-6pm||Q & A/ Participant Evaluation|